Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Scary Day

Tonight my sister was supposed to present her masters thesis at a small conference. I was planning on attending but today turned out to be really crazy.

My sister teaches at a high school near the bay area area. Around 3pm today she texted me that bullets had just ripped through the walls of her classroom. Her and all of her kids were on floor and the school was on lock down. One of her female students had been shot in the leg. She sent me fragmented texts for about an hour before I was able to finally get her on the phone. Very terrifying!

Seems that the shooter was some random guy who was arguing with another random guy about something across the street from the school and decided to settle it with some bullets. The bullets flew across the street and hit my sisters portable classroom. People are nuts!!

She is alright and so are all the kids minus the girl that was hit by the bullet but she should make a full recovery - luckily it just grazed her. She called to tell me that she would not be able to present because she could not leave the school in time. It turns out that she was able to get there as they let them out shortly after she called me and she made it in time to present! She is amazing! I am so so so freaking glad she is okay. So scary. :S

In other news I am planning to sign up for a half triathlon in October. I have really taken to riding and I already enjoy running so... why not?

Monday was my 8 mile loop which was great.. Nike+ stopped working in the middle of the run so I couldn't get an accurate read on my time. I will have to run it again to see if I can beat my last timed run. Tuesday I rode 48 miles from Brea to Newport and then back to Brea along the Santa Ana River Trail. This time I brought a banana and my sun glasses. It was a much better ride.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad your sister and her class were ok.

    The triathlon sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrifying I am so glad everyone was okay.

    Wow, a triathlon sounds exciting - what an awesome goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very scary. I really can't believe people sometimes! Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt.

    Congrats on your triathlon goal. That is big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, new look! What is a half triathlon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that is horrible!! I teach at a local high school and the side door is always unlocked and it just scares me that someone will come in and do that one day! So glad to hear all is ok in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very scary! I'm glad everything worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? I'm glad H is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for reading!! :)

    I am really glad she was alright. Teachers have to put up with enough already.. without getting shot at!

    Anne, I think (not to sure about these Tri terms) it is half of a full tri so it is the 1.2 swim, 50 mile bike ride, 13 mile run. :)

    ReplyDelete